Insomnia? Difficulty getting to sleep? Light, restless sleep? Don’t worry, these are all the result of bad habits and all you need to break the cycle is create a new relaxing routine.
There are so many benefits to getting a good night’s sleep: reinvigorating the body, stimulating creativity and memory, helping physical and mental performance, combatting stress and, according to some recent studies, it also seems to help with weight loss.
So why don’t we prioritise our sleep like we do our physical appearance or our diet? Improving the quality of your sleep is the smartest investment you can make for both your beauty and overall wellbeing.
A QUICK LIST OF GOOD HABITS FOR A DREAMY NIGHT’S SLEEP:
- Always go to bed at the same time
- Don’t take naps during the day
- Avoid caffeine, nicotine and alcohol before going to bed…unfortunately that includes chocolate as it contains caffeine
- Save intense workouts for the morning and more relaxing activities, like yoga and stretching, for the evening – however, sex is OK AND it produces endorphins!
- Have a light dinner
- Sleep in an airy, quiet room with no artificial lighting. And yes, that includes your smartphone.
- Establish an evening routine. Brush your teeth, wash your face, have a warm shower or a bath, read or listen to relaxing music. Checking emails and social networks before going to sleep isn’t a good idea.
Looking for a little inspiration? There are lots of online playlists filled with relaxing music to help you sleep.
If you’d prefer to try and practise meditating or mindfulness, here are some ideas